Personal Injury Lawyer Alexandria, VA
If a victim is injured in an accident caused by another party, such as a car accident or slip and fall accident, they often need some form of medical care following the accident. In some cases, there may only be minimum medical treatment required if the injury is a minor one, but far too often, the victim’s injuries require more extensive medical treatments and may even need surgeries and/or rehabilitation. Even if the victim has health insurance, these medical costs often begin to pile up, with co-pays, deductibles, and the percentage patients are responsible for. But Virginia injury law says that victims should not have to be responsible for these expenses and that the party who caused the accident is liable for them. If you have been injured in an accident, a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA can help you get the compensation you may be entitled to.
What Medical Costs Are Covered?
The type and cost of a victim’s medical expenses depend on several factors, including the type of injury and the severity. Some of the different costs could include the following:
- Emergency care: When a bad accident occurs, victims are often transported to hospitals by ambulance or med-flights and taken straight to the emergency room where they are given immediate medical treatment to stabilize their conditions.
- Hospitalizations: A victim may need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation or they may end up staying for weeks if they need extensive care and medical attention.
- Surgeries: An Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer knows that there are many injuries that require surgery -sometimes multiple surgeries – in order to repair the damage done in the accident and/or to prevent further harm to the victim.
- Medication: A victim is often given medication while in the hospital, as well as when they are finally able to go home. They may have been prescribed multiple medications for their injuries that they will need long-term.
- Medical equipment or devices: A victim may need crutches, canes, braces, or a wheelchair. If they have suffered an amputation, they may also require prosthetic limbs.
- Rehabilitation: Many injuries require some form of rehabilitation, including physical therapy and occupational therapy. Severe injuries often require the victim to go to a rehabilitation center once they have been released from the hospital. Even if a victim is able to go home, they still could face months of therapy in order to regain their strength and coordination and help the body heal from the injuries.
- Mental health therapy: When a victim suffers serious injuries in an accident, it is not uncommon for the situation to affect their mental health, as well. There could be the actual trauma from the accident and they are dealing with post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) or they may be dealing with anxiety, depression, and other conditions because of the detrimental impact the accident has had on their life
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident caused by another person, you have the right to file a personal injury claim. However, you should not do so without legal assistance. Here are a few benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA.
- Provide objectivity. Getting into an accident can be a traumatic experience, so you may experience a wide range of emotions. Unfortunately, these emotions can sometimes cloud your judgement and cause you to make bad decisions. For example, you may be tempted to accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer to get the process over with. That is why it is crucial to have a personal injury lawyer on your side. He or she can provide objectivity and keep you from making poor decisions.
- Know the value of your case. Most personal injury victims do not know the true value of their case. This can cause insurance companies to take advantage of them. That is another good reason to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer. He or she has worked on similar cases in the past and will know the actual value of your case. Your lawyer will take many elements into account before determining the value of your case, such as the cost of your medical bills, how much time you have to take off work and pain and suffering.
- Have motivation to help you win. Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that they do not get paid unless you win your case. As such, your personal injury lawyer should be more motivated to help you win your case.
- Can take your case to trial. If you hire a personal injury lawyer, it will show the negligent party’s insurance company that you can go to trial if necessary. If the insurance company sees that your lawyer has a positive track record, they may offer a fair settlement to avoid the costs of going to court.
- Save time. The last thing you want is for your personal injury case to drag on and on. You want to get on with your life. If you work with a skilled personal injury lawyer, you may resolve your case in a shorter amount of time. Your lawyer will make sure that you fill out the paperwork correctly and by deadline, so there are no delays.
Call Our Office Today
All of these medical expenses should be covered by the at-fault party and/or their insurance company. To learn more, and to schedule a free case evaluation with a seasoned Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer, contact the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC today.