Personal Injury Lawyer in Alexandria, VA
If a victim is injured in an accident caused by another party, such as a car accident or slip and fall accident, they often need some form of medical care following the accident. In some cases, there may only be minimum medical treatment required if the injury is a minor one, but far too often, the victim’s injuries require more extensive medical treatments and may even need surgeries and/or rehabilitation. Even if the victim has health insurance, these medical costs often begin to pile up, with co-pays, deductibles, and the percentage patients are responsible for. But Virginia injury law says that victims should not have to be responsible for these expenses and that the party who caused the accident is liable for them. If you have been injured in an accident, a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA can help you get the compensation you may be entitled to.
What Medical Costs Are Covered?
The type and cost of a victim’s medical expenses depend on several factors, including the type of injury and the severity. Some of the different costs could include the following:
- Emergency care: When a bad accident occurs, victims are often transported to hospitals by ambulance or med-flights and taken straight to the emergency room where they are given immediate medical treatment to stabilize their conditions.
- Hospitalizations: A victim may need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation or they may end up staying for weeks if they need extensive care and medical attention.
- Surgeries: An Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer knows that there are many injuries that require surgery -sometimes multiple surgeries – in order to repair the damage done in the accident and/or to prevent further harm to the victim.
- Medication: A victim is often given medication while in the hospital, as well as when they are finally able to go home. They may have been prescribed multiple medications for their injuries that they will need long-term.
- Medical equipment or devices: A victim may need crutches, canes, braces, or a wheelchair. If they have suffered an amputation, they may also require prosthetic limbs.
- Rehabilitation: Many injuries require some form of rehabilitation, including physical therapy and occupational therapy. Severe injuries often require the victim to go to a rehabilitation center once they have been released from the hospital. Even if a victim is able to go home, they still could face months of therapy in order to regain their strength and coordination and help the body heal from the injuries.
- Mental health therapy: When a victim suffers serious injuries in an accident, it is not uncommon for the situation to affect their mental health, as well. There could be the actual trauma from the accident and they are dealing with post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) or they may be dealing with anxiety, depression, and other conditions because of the detrimental impact the accident has had on their life
Most people who are deemed at fault for a car, premises liability, or other type of accident did not intentionally set out to cause the accident that resulted in the victim’s injuries. However, as an Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer can explain, just because an accident was unintentional does not negate the liability of the party or parties that caused it.
As explained above, Virginia law allows victims to pursue compensation for the losses their injuries have caused. In addition to the medical expenses their injuries cause to pile up, many victims also face loss of income because their injuries leave them unable to work while they recover. But these lost wages, as well as lost benefits a victim suffers, can also be pursued in a personal injury lawsuit.
Even a minor accident can result in injuries serious enough that the victim is ordered by their doctor to stay home during recovery. The more serious the injury, the more missed work a victim faces. Even once they eventually are able to return to work, they may only be able to return to part-time for the first few weeks or so. After a victim returns to work, they may also still have treatments or follow-up appointments with their doctor for their accident injuries, such as physical therapy or other ongoing medical care.
Lost Wages Compensation
An Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer knows that any time a victim loses from work because of their accident injuries is compensable under Virginia law, even if that time off is covered by sick time, vacation time, personal days, or other benefits the victim may have in place. A victim should not have to use up all of their vacation time in order to receive income while they recover due to the negligence of another party.
If the victim is paid by the hour, then the amount of compensation they are entitled to is the number of hours they were unable to work multiplied by their hourly wage. For example, if a victim earns $20 per hour and they were unable to work for four weeks (160 hours), then 160 hours is multiplied by $20 for a total of $3,200 in compensation.
Victims who are paid by salary, then the total amount owed could be calculated by taking their yearly salary and dividing it by the number of hours they work in one year, then multiplying that amount by the number of hours the victim missed at work while they recovered.
There may be other factors that are involved, such as if the victim normally worked overtime or received bonuses and/or commissions on a regular basis. All of these factors will be considered by your Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer when they are calculating the amount you may be owed.
FAQs in Personal Injury Cases
What Qualifies as a Personal Injury?
Not all injuries or accidents are eligible for a personal injury claim, but many are. The main things you need to prove are that (a) you were injured and (b) the person or business responsible acted with negligence.
What is negligence? It’s when the guilty party wasn’t reasonably careful. For example, if you were injured in a car accident, the other driver should have been more alert or careful. If you got hurt at a place of business, the owner should have taken better steps to prevent accidents.
If your case seems to be in a gray area and you’re not sure whether negligence was involved, speak with a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA. At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, we’re happy to answer your questions. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by talking to a lawyer.
Where Should I Go for Help With Medical Bills?
The answer to this question depends on the circumstances of the accident and Virginia state laws. For example, if you were hurt in a car accident, you may receive compensation for medical expenses from the other driver’s insurance company (or your own insurance company if you have no-fault insurance).
Places of business may have insurance that covers personal injury cases on their property. Other times, it’s necessary to take the individual responsible to court to recover damages. We encourage you to talk with a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA, as soon as possible after an accident. That way, you know what steps to take to protect your health and still get the compensation you deserve.
What Are Contingency Fees for Personal Injury Cases?
Some lawyers charge by the hour to assist with personal injury cases. Others have an upfront fee for taking your case.
A contingency fee works differently. It’s designed to make it easier for individuals to get the high-quality legal representation they deserve and need. When a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA, represents you on a contingency fee basis, it means you don’t get charged anything upfront for your case. Law firms only get paid if they negotiate a settlement or secure a court victory that meets your agreed-upon conditions.
At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, we use contingency fees for personal injury cases. Even the initial consultation is free of charge. For specific information about our fees and to learn how much your case is worth, contact us right away.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident caused by another person, you have the right to file a personal injury claim. However, you should not do so without legal assistance. Here are a few benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA.
- Provide objectivity. Getting into an accident can be a traumatic experience, so you may experience a wide range of emotions. Unfortunately, these emotions can sometimes cloud your judgment and cause you to make bad decisions. For example, you may be tempted to accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer to get the process over with. That is why it is crucial to have a personal injury lawyer on your side. He or she can provide objectivity and keep you from making poor decisions.
- Know the value of your case. Most personal injury victims do not know the true value of their case. This can cause insurance companies to take advantage of them. That is another good reason to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer. He or she has worked on similar cases in the past and will know the actual value of your case. Your lawyer will take many elements into account before determining the value of your case, such as the cost of your medical bills, how much time you have to take off work, and pain and suffering.
- Have the motivation to help you win. Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that they do not get paid unless you win your case. As such, your personal injury lawyer should be more motivated to help you win your case.
- Can take your case to trial. If you hire a personal injury lawyer, it will show the negligent party’s insurance company that you can go to trial if necessary. If the insurance company sees that your lawyer has a positive track record, they may offer a fair settlement to avoid the costs of going to court.
- Save time. The last thing you want is for your personal injury case to drag on and on. You want to get on with your life. If you work with a skilled personal injury lawyer, you may resolve your case in a shorter amount of time. Your lawyer will make sure that you fill out the paperwork correctly and by the deadline, so there are no delays.
3 Types of Personal Injuries That Could Result in Court Cases
You may see personal injuries in TV commercials as you’re watching your daily shows. You might think you know about different types of personal injuries. But personal injury law covers a wide spectrum of injuries. Here’s a list of three personal injuries that may warrant hiring a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA, like the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC.
Car accidents are probably the most common type of personal injuries. According to the National Safety Council, some 42,000 people were killed in car accidents in 2020. On top of that, approximately 4.8 million people sustained serious injuries in car accidents. Car accident victims and their loved ones can file personal injury lawsuits against other drivers, car manufacturers or government entities that may have contributed to the cause of the accident. A personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA, can help you determine whether you have a solid case after a car accident.
You may be familiar with the Chicago Tylenol murders of 1982. Several bottles of Tylenol had been tampered with, by persons unknown adding cyanide to the capsules before returning them to store shelves. Seven people were killed. This is one extreme example of product-related injuries. Even products being used as intended can cause personal injuries.
For example, if you use your food processor to turn cauliflower into rice-like pieces, and accidentally eat a metal chip from one of the blades, that could be grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. You were using your food processor as it was meant to be used, and a broken piece caused your injury. A personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA, such as the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC could help you determine if you have a strong case in this type of injury.
Even though they have the best of intentions, doctors and other medical staff are only human and make mistakes. A misdiagnosis or missed diagnosis, the wrong medication being prescribed or filled or the inattention of nursing staff can all lead to serious injuries or death. While money is cold comfort in the face of a loved one’s passing, it can help you to know that the person or entity responsible is going to have to pay for what they’ve done.
These are just three examples of personal injuries that would warrant consulting with a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA. Don’t worry if you think you can’t afford a lawyer. Many personal injury attorneys will give you a free consultation and take your case on a contingency basis, so they only get paid when you win your case.
What is a Slip and Fall?
Slip and falls are some of the most common types of personal injuries, and with the help of a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, Virginia, you can get the compensation you deserve – no matter how minor the accident.
A slip and fall is exactly what it sounds like. A minor slip-up, trip, or fall that can happen anywhere. We’ve all had our clumsy moments, but how can you be sure that your accident was caused by you, and you alone? With a bit of investigation, you and your legal team can determine if anyone’s negligence led to your injury.
Despite their seemingly innocent nature, slip and falls can actually cause a huge amount of stress, expense, and health complications later on down the line. This is typically due to the fact that these minor accidents are usually more embarrassing than painful. If you stumble on some loose carpeting or slip on some spilled coffee, you might want to just move on and forget about it instead of making a big deal out of the situation.
Unfortunately, this mindset can lead to major issues in the coming weeks. If you fail to report your injuries, you might not be able to get any kind of financial compensation for your injuries. And if you do report your injuries, there’s no guarantee the property owner or manager will be receptive to your request for compensation or coverage. That’s where a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA can come in to help.
What Can a Lawyer Do for Me?
The first thing a lawyer can provide for you is consultation and a skilled investigation. No matter how minor your injuries, they deserve adequate care. And no matter how minor the accident, it deserves a closer look. Should there have been a warning sign to alert you about the wet floor? Should there have been adequate lighting to prevent you from tripping on loose cables? A personal injury lawyer can help you determine if negligence paid a part in your injuries – and then they can help you take your next steps.
Filing a personal injury lawsuit involves a lot of complicated steps. It takes more than just investigation: It requires the gathering of evidence, the filing of important paperwork, and personalized case management. Unfortunately, many lawyers only view their clients as paychecks, and don’t commit the amount of care you’d want from your legal representation. Fortunately, you can count on the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn to provide the quality legal care you deserve.
The Ryan Quinn Difference
At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, we know that your injury is a frustrating challenge, and we know that you need personalized and attentive legal representation to help you through these difficulties. Don’t hesitate to reach out: We view each and every one of our clients as more than a statistic or a figure on paper. We’re as committed to your case as you are, and we’re ready to help you get the compensation you need to get your life back on track. Reach out to us today, and see how a personal injury lawyer in Alexandria, VA can help.
Call Our Office Today
All of these medical expenses should be covered by the at-fault party and/or their insurance company. To learn more, and to schedule, a free case evaluation with a seasoned Alexandria, VA personal injury lawyer, contact the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC today.