Wrongful Death Lawyer in Alexandria, VA
When you experience the death of a loved one due to the negligence of others, the impacts can be far-ranging, and may necessitate contacting a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA from The Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC for assistance. You may experience financial hardship due to medical, funeral, and burial costs. Wage-earning potential and inheritance may be lost. Perhaps most significantly, you and your family may experience intense pain and suffering as you cope with an unexpected loss.
Money will not bring back someone you loved. Yet a wrongful death lawsuit can help you to redress an untimely death with financial compensation for your losses. Here are some of the factors to consider as you explore your options.
How does a wrongful death lawsuit work?
A wrongful death claim is the type of claim that you file when somebody is dying as a result of negligence or intentional act because of another party. Wrongful death claims are often brought against the defendant, which is usually the person that caused the death through negligence or due to an act of intention. By filing a wrongful death claim the family or the estate of the decedent is allowed to hold that person legally liable for the death of the decedent.
He states wrongful death laws vary, but these types of lawsuits are often filed as a representative of the deceased person’s estate, usually on the behalf of family members who are affected by the death and are surviving this person in life.
A wrongful death claim can arise after situations where the victim would have otherwise had a valid personal injury claim had they not died, and some of the ways that a wrongful death claim may come about can be found below. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it the only way that a wrongful death claim can arise.
- When a victim is intentionally killed, the person who is held liable for the death of the victim can be sued through civil court. One such example is O.J. Simpson who was sued in civil court by the families of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman.
- When a victim dies as a result of medical malpractice, if the Dr. has failed to diagnose the condition was careless in the care they provide and somebody dies due to that, then a medical malpractice wrongful death case can be filed. However, medical malpractice often has slightly different rules in speaking with a lawyer that specializes in wrongful death claims can ensure that you are filing your case correctly.
- Car accident fatalities that involve negligence, such as somebody speeding and causing an accident that killed someone else.
- A wrongful death claim can technically stem from any kind of personal injury situation, however the only exception that must be exclusively handled to another type of insurance and court is workplace death as it would go through workers compensation systems.
When you are trying to prove a wrongful death case you must be able to prove that the person you are saying is liable is actually liable. Furthermore if the estate or the victim’s family is filing, they must prove that they have an unreasonable burden that the victim would have met if the victim had not died — this is typically a financial burden. When negligence is an example of wrongful death, the defendant must have owed the victim a duty of care that was breached, in this breach must have caused the victim’s death directly.
After a Wrongful Death
A wrongful death is a tragedy, but a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, Virginia can help you get the compensation you need and the closure you deserve. Any death is difficult to deal with, but when it comes to an unexpected and avoidable death, you may find yourself completely lost: Anger, sadness, and confusion can make coping with your loss completely unbearable.
If a loved one was taken too soon, you’ll need time to grieve. But you’ll also have many questions about how you can get justice. No amount of money can make things easier for you, but it can help cover funerary expenses and make the grieving process a little smoother. Read on to learn more about the common types of wrongful death, and see how the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC can help.
Common Types of Wrongful Death
The causes of wrongful death are varied, and no two cases are alike. When you consider whether a death qualifies as “wrongful” you need to be able to prove that a party’s negligence led to the death of a loved one. This opens the door for many claims, and as a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA can explain, there are many types of fatal negligence.
- Insufficient safety features can cause wrongful deaths in car accidents – and anywhere else. Many people think of defective airbags or improperly-installed seatbelts as examples of insufficient safety features, but wrongful deaths aren’t confined to car crashes. A guard rail on a tall staircase can give way, or an elevator’s emergency brake can fail to stop a fall. It’s possible for safety features to fail anywhere, and while it may seem like unnecessary worrying, it’s always a good idea to have the right lawyer on hand in case of rare emergencies.
- Improper medical procedures occur when the medical staff you thought you could trust completely fail to live up to your expectations. Improperly trained medical professionals can make fatal errors in even the simplest of procedures, and despite their best intentions, their actions can result in the death of a loved one. Make sure you have the right attorney available to help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Motor vehicle negligence is one of the most common causes of wrongful death. A driver on the road has the responsibility to ensure the safety of those around them, and if they neglect that responsibility, they can – and should – be held accountable for their actions. While no amount of legal action can bring back a loved one, it can help you get the justice you deserve.
Reach out to the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC
At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, we understand how devastating an unexpected and sudden loss can be. You’ll have a million questions to ask while you’re coping with the loss of a loved one, and while there are no satisfying answers to life’s most challenging questions, an attorney from our firm can help you gain valuable closure when it comes to your search for legal justice. Get in touch with the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, and see how a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA can help you move forward.
Types of Damages in Cases of Wrongful Death
The main goal of a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA, is to help you and your family get the compensation you need. Often, surviving family members have medical bills and other expenses that aren’t easy to deal with. At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, we can walk you step by step through the process of wrongful death cases. What kind of benefits can you receive in a settlement or court case?
When a family member passes away because of wrongful death, it can have a deep economic impact. Economic damages are generally the most common type of compensation family members look for. These damages can include many expenses:
- Hospital bills and expenses from medical treatment
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of economic benefits (pension plans, etc.)
- Loss of income from the victim’s job
- Other economic damages suffered because of not having the person around to take care of things
Having a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA, assist with your case can help you recover these damages and protect your family. In a way, getting the compensation you deserve is like the victim is continuing to provide for family members.
Not all damages from a wrongful death are easy to assign a monetary value for. Speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA, for help deciding what to do in your case. It’s unfair for surviving family members to not have the loved one around anymore. You deserve to receive compensation for what happened and the wrongful death lawsuit is a part of achieving that.
What can non-economic damages include?
- Mental anguish
- Emotional suffering
- Physical pain or health problems from stress
- Loss of guidance, training and care from the victim
- Loss of love and companionship from someone you cared about
- Loss of assistance from a spouse
At the Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC, we take the time to understand the depth of your loss. It’s right for you to receive compensation for the tremendous loss felt by surviving spouses and children. We can’t imagine your grief, but we do our best to take care of your legal needs at this difficult time.
Wrongful death cases sometimes go beyond simple negligence. Sometimes, the way the person at fault acted so heartlessly that family members feel punishment is needed, such as with drunk drivers or doctors that performed surgery while intoxicated. Punitive damages are designed to “hurt.”
This type of compensation depends on the circumstances of the case and current local laws. A wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, VA, can help you analyze your case.
Does my Loss Qualify?
If you think that the death of your loved one meets these criteria, you may wish to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria, Virginia to explore your case. There are four key legal elements that you must prove in a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Negligence: You must prove that the death was caused entirely or in part by reckless, careless, or negligent actions of the defendant.
- Breach of Duty: The defendant must have owed some duty to the victim. For instance, drivers have a duty to traffic laws. Doctors have a duty to support the health of their patients.
- Causation: The defendant must prove that the victim’s death was a direct result of the defendant’s negligence.
- Damages: The defendant must have experienced quantifiable losses from the victim’s death. Beyond pain and suffering, these losses may include medical costs, burial and funeral costs, loss of income or potential earnings, loss of inheritance, or other expenses.
What is the legal process?
The law can be complicated. Your lawyer will guide you through all steps of the legal process to ensure the best chance of success. Keep in mind that a wrongful death lawsuit is a civil case, not a criminal case—so, success means financial compensation, not incarceration of the defendant.
Your lawyer will begin by thoroughly investigating your case and conducting research. They will consult with experts who may provide testimony on your behalf. Based on your financial damages and the pain and suffering you have experienced, they will help you determine the financial damages to seek in the case.
In many cases, the next step is an attempt to reach a settlement outside of court. If the parties in the case cannot agree on a settlement, the case will move to a trial, and the jury will decide the outcome based on facts and presentation of the case.
How do I get started?
Seeking a wrongful death lawsuit is a complicated process, and you do not need to struggle alone. Your first step is to consult with an experienced wrongful death lawyer in your area. The right legal support will act in your best interests to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact a VA wrongful death lawyer in Alexandria from The Law Offices of Ryan Quinn, PLLC immediately for guidance.